THE YOUNG CONSERVATORY: ACTOR TRAINING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Upcoming Session: Spring 2020 (March 17 - April 28, 2020)
Le Petit Theatre is delighted to welcome students ages 8-18 to the Spring 2020 Young Conservatory Program.
The Young Conservatory Spring Session will run from Tuesday, March 17-Tuesday, April 28th, 2020.
With a curriculum focused on what it means to be a successful performer, our young artists will spend six weeks together in a carefully designed combination of classroom and rehearsal sessions.
Two weekday and one weekend rehearsal per week will culminate in a three-performance run at the end of the term. In addition to rehearsals in preparation for the final production, there will be a series of acting technique workshops, led by acting professionals, throughout the term. From voice work to scene study, from movement to improv (and so much more!), our Young Conservatory artists will experience an exciting course of training that prepares them not only for our final production as a collective but also for the business of acting outside our stage doors.
No Audition Required. Participants must be ages 8-18.
In an effort to best tailor the production for our students, the show title will be announced once the registration period ends.
Classes and Rehearsals:
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30-8:30pm* and Saturdays, 1:00-5:00pm
*Students ages 8-12 will be dismissed by 7:30pm on weekdays*
Tech and Dress Rehearsals:
Tuesday, April 21st and Wednesday, April 22nd
Young Conservatory Performances:
Saturday, April 25th, 11:00am
Sunday, April 26th, 11:00am
Tuesday, April 28th, 7:00pm
Please note that attendance to all classes, rehearsals, and performances is mandatory. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation honoring this policy as our goal is to present work of the highest caliber, creating not only a wonderful production but also an incredible, cohesive ensemble. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
ABOUT THE YOUNG CONSERVATORY PROGRAM
The Young Conservatory program at Le Petit provides students from ages 8 to 18 the ability to develop their talents, perform in professional productions, and gain the confidence to succeed—all in a comfortable, creative, and fun environment. Young Conservatory students take classes in Voice and Diction, Clowning and Movement, Stagecraft, Stage Presence, and Ensemble Building. Classes are led by theatre professionals who have a passion for working with young people. Young Conservatory students will gain confidence, learn teambuilding, and grow their performing skills. The Young Conservatory program is fee-based, but Le Petit is committed to providing scholarship to ensure that all qualifying students have access to this important program.
- Learn: Young Conservatory (YC) classes are exciting, engaging, and challenging. Courses such as acting, musical theater, clowning, and physical comedy offer something for every student's taste and schedule. YC teachers and directors are active theater professionals who understand and enjoy working with young people.
- Develop: The YC teaches more than just acting. Students learn to incorporate the craft of theater into their everyday lives, developing concentration, imagination, professionalism, character, and self-confidence along the way.
- Perform: Weekday and/or weekend rehearsals culminate in a production adapted or selected specifically for Le Petit's Young Conservatory and performed by conservatory students on Le Petit's historic French Quarter stage. YC actors are also given priority access to audition slots when Le Petit’s professional productions need to fill roles for child and teen actors.
- Succeed: By training at the YC, students gain the creative and communication skills to succeed in just about anything. Many students from conservatory programs go on to study art in college, yet the skills they learn give them the confidence, presence, and knowledge to succeed in any career.
- For more information, please contact education@