There is no greater joy than watching a child have their first theatrical experience. By introducing children to theatre at an early age, we help them to develop critical thinking skills, increase their overall school performance and help them develop into sentient and empathetic adults. Le Petit Theatre has a long tradition of welcoming children through its doors dating back through most of its 103-year history, and in our 19/20 season, we are re-affirming our commitment to education. Not only will we grow our student matinee program to bring more students without access to theatre through our doors, but we will commit to having young people onstage, backstage and fully integrated into the artistic process.
If you are interested in learning more about any of Le Petit's education programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
THE YOUNG CONSERVATORY: ACTOR TRAINING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
The Young Conservatory program at Le Petit will provide students from ages 8 to 18 the ability to develop their talents, perform in professional productions, and gain the confidence to succeed—all in a comfortable, creative, and fun environment. Young Conservatory students will take classes in Voice and Diction, Clowning and Movement, Stagecraft, Stage Presence, and Ensemble Building. Classes will be led by theatre professionals who have a passion for working with young people. Young Conservatory students will gain confidence, learn teambuilding, and grow their performing skills. The Young Conservatory program is fee-based, but Le Petit is committed to providing scholarship to ensure that all qualifying students have access to this important program.
- Learn: Young Conservatory (YC) classes are exciting, engaging, and challenging. Courses such as acting, musical theater, clowning, and physical comedy offer something for every student's taste and schedule. YC teachers and directors are active theater professionals who understand and enjoy working with young people.
- Develop: The YC teaches more than just acting. Students learn to incorporate the craft of theater into their everyday lives, developing concentration, imagination, professionalism, character, and self-confidence along the way.
- Perform: Spring 2019 Session students performed on Le Petit’s stage in a spring show designed especially for them. Two weekday and one weekend rehearsal per week will culminate in a production adapted or selected specifically for Le Petit's Young Conservatory and performed by conservatory students on Le Petit's historic French Quarter stage. YC actors are also given priority access to audition slots when Le Petit’s professional productions need to fill roles for child and teen actors.
- Succeed: By training at the YC, students gain the creative and communication skills to succeed in just about anything. Many students from conservatory programs go on to study art in college, yet the skills they learn give them the confidence, presence, and knowledge to succeed in any career.
For more information, please contact education@
THEATRICAL WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM: JOB TRAINING IN TECHNICAL THEATRE
The Theatrical Workforce Development Program is a hands-on training program where participants will receive training in multiple areas of technical theatre. The program is open to high school students and recent graduates with a preference given to students in New Orleans who have a demonstrated interest in theatre and the performing arts. Students who attend this workshop will get an overview of many areas of technical theatre including scenic painting, carpentry, lighting, audio, projection, and costumes.
This program is open to high school juniors and seniors, as well as recent high school graduates. The program is free of charge and lunch will be provided. Classes will be held twice a week and will take place at Le Petit Theatre at 616 Saint Peter Street.
NEXT SESSION: OCTOBER 21-24, 2019
For more information and to enroll, please contact email@example.com.
The Theatrical Workforce Development Program is supported by a grant from the New Orleans Theatre Association (NOTA).
STUDENT MATINEES FOR LOCAL STUDENTS AND EDUCATORS
Student matinees provide a unique, up close and personal experience of the productions at Le Petit for hundreds of students each season. Each student matinee is followed by a performance is followed by a talk-back during which the cast interacts with students during a brief Q&A session.
Please contact Sara Tweedy at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign-up your class or student organization for a 2019-2020 Season matinee!
*Please note: our 2019 student matinees of A Christmas Carol are currently fully-booked. Please contact Sara with your school name, contact information, and total number of students/chaperones to join the waitlist.*
INTERESTED IN SUPPORTING STUDENT MATINEES?
Through sponsorship of student matinees, Le Petit will offer free tickets to students without access to live performance. Sponsorship packages will allow corporations and individuals to give the gift of live theatre to the next generation of theatre lovers. The performing arts are a valuable part of a student’s education. Access to live theatre and storytelling helps students to develop critical thinking skills and engenders empathy and understanding of the larger world.
Sponsoring a student matinee provides free tickets for up to 200 students to have their own matinee, including transportation stipends for bussing and an exclusive study guide created to help students engage with the work they are seeing on stage. Sponsorship also provides funding for teaching artists to visit schools before the performance to prepare them for the visit, and a talkback after the show to allow students to connect with theatre makers. Levels and benefits for student matinee sponsorship are:
- $25,000 – Student Matinee Underwriter: Sponsor one student matinee for each of Le Petit’s five 2018-2019 mainstage productions, impacting at least 1,000 New Orleans area students who would not be able to visit the theatre otherwise. Receive recognition in playbills all season long as a Student Matinee Sponsor, recognition on Le Petit’s website, and recognition on classroom materials developed for participating students.
- $5,000 – Student Matinee Supporter: Sponsor one student matinee for any of Le Petit’s 2018-2019 mainstage productions, providing the special experience of live theatre for at least 200 students from an underserved school in the New Orleans community. Receive recognition in the selected show’s playbill as a Student Matinee Sponsor, recognition on Le Petit’s website, and recognition on classroom materials developed for participating students.